Friday, January 2, 2015

Breakfast - Monkey Monkey Bread

Just in time for the weekend, I wanted to share a yummy brunch recipe I made a few days ago that uses only a few ingredients and is fun to make with your significant other...monkey bread! (Plus I needed a good excuse to use the bundt pan my mom-in-law got me for Christmas!) I based it on the Grands! Monkey Bread recipe but added a few twists of my own...

As you may have noticed, I titled this post Monkey Monkey Bread since I decided to spice up the standard recipe with bananas...even though I was only mildly successful at my first bundt pan recipe (as you will see shortly), it was definitely a tasty breakfast I would try again!

To start, I used a roll of refrigerated biscuits, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. I also used melted butter and bananas for the sauce.

I mixed about a cup of white sugar and cinnamon together for the biscuit coating. 

Then I quartered each of the biscuits and put them in a bowl to cover them in the cinnamon sugar mixture. I also added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the mix.

However, here is where I went wrong. The recipe I was following on the Pillsbury Website said to toss the biscuits in a gallon sized Ziploc bag...since I had already dirtied a bowl, I thought I would just toss them in that and I'd be fine. However I soon discovered that sugar does not like to stay in a bowl when tossed....

Hence why I would also recommend using a bag to toss your quartered biscuits!

Once the biscuits were coated in the sugary mix. I added them to a greased bundt pan and started on my banana-caramel sauce.

To make the caramel sauce, I melted 1/2 cup of butter and mashed a quarter of a ripe banana into the butter. I definitely could have used more banana, probably the whole thing, but I wasn't sure how potent it would be. 

I also added about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and a 1/4 tsp salt.

I poured the sauce over the biscuits and put it in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes until the top was golden and crispy

Once the pan had cooled for 10 minutes or so, I turned it out onto a plate...I should have probably waited a little longer since clearly one side fell apart and left some yummy caramel goodness in the pan. 

Regardless, this was one yummy breakfast I will be making again!