Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cleaning Day - Couch De-Odorizing

Saturdays are one of my favorite days of the week because I get to catch up on all the chores I don't get to throughout the work week....I honestly look forward to getting my cup of coffee, turning on the Food Network, and getting to work on the house. 

Today, I wanted to focus on my couch because lately it's been smelling a little like the pups. I know this grosses some people out, and I KNOW the ultimate fix for this would be to not allow them on the furniture, but to me that just is not an option...they are my snuggle bugs when Andrew is working late! 

Now, I will preface this post by saying that I try to clean my couch every month or so in order to keep the pet scents from getting deeply ingrained in the cushions. If I were to truly deep clean my couch, I would certainly use a deep steamer rather than my current method, but this seems to work for me. Even so, I have found through trial and error that cleaning a couch is a multi-step process. First, you'll need to vacuum any dog hair off the surface and out of the crevices. I like to use the small bristle attachment to go over the surface, then the smaller crease attachment to get between the cushions and in the crevices. 


I then mix up about 1 tablespoon of Resolve Carpet Cleaner (I use the Pet line) with about 4 cups of hot water. Dampen a clean cloth with this mixture and wipe down your whole couch. 


As the couch is drying, douse it in Febreze Pet Odor Eliminator. I've found that when doing this while the couch is still damp, it grabs ahold of any odors left and will leave the couch smelling fresh as it dries. 


Try your best to keep the pets off the furniture while it's drying (will probably take about a hour to fully dry off). But after that it's good as new! 




No comments:

Post a Comment