Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Weekday Breakfast - Protein Oatmeal

Sorry to add a second breakfast post in a row, but as my favorite meal (and the most important meal of the day!) I thought it would be ok :) Since yesterday I talked about my weekend morning fuel, I wanted to share one of my weekday favorites. It's so quick and easy and can be prepped for a week or two in advance...even though usually I'm not that proactive and am throwing it together while running out the door!
 
The basic ingredients I use are instant oats, protein powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt (yes, salt....just not much!), and some sort of dried friuts or nuts.   
 
 
I start by adding about a 1/2 cup of instant oats to a microwave safe bowl. I then add about a 1/4 cup vanilla flavored protein powder, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Throw in a handful of whatever fruits/nuts you would like, and mix it together.

 
Add enough water to cover the mixture and stir. This step is VERY important, as the protein powder will cook into a big, lumpy chunks if it's not stirred extremely well. Put it in the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes, just until the top begins to bubble up, and you're done! I usually wait to do this step until I'm at work so I have hot oatmeal...to cool it off you can add an ice cube and stir it around until it's completely melted into the oatmeal.

 
You could always prepare these ahead of time and put them in ziplock bags too...either way, this is a great way to start your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment