Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dinner - Philly Cheese...Conecuh?

Tonight I had to go grocery shopping after work...in case any of you have never done that, it is the worst idea because not only are you ready to be home after a full day of work, but you're also starving by the time you leave!

Fortunately for me, while I was browsing I found a pack of buns on the clearance rack and decided to make some sandwiches for dinner so I wouldn't have to wait long once I was home. I also decided to make some oven baked onion rings as a side...I've been trying to incorporate more veggies and less carbs into our diet so I thought this would be the perfect option!

The ingredient list on this one is fairly simple: onions, green pepper, and.....conecuh sausage! While I know it would be more healthy to incorporate chicken or turkey into this sandwich, I was feeling some flavor (and I think I might've taken a hint from my stomach while walking down the meat aisle).


I actually started with the onion rings since I knew they would need to bake up in the oven while I prepped the sandwiches. I took one of the onions and chopped it into sections sideways to create the rings. 


I set up my dipping stations in three separate bowls...flour, egg, breadcrumbs. To the flour I added seasoned salt and pepper to taste. I also added some water to the egg mixture so it would be easier to coat the rings. 


I dipped each ring into first the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs so it would crisp up nicely in the oven. To make mine extra crispy, I placed them on a cooling rack set on top of a pan rather than directly on the metal surface. I baked them in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes until they were golden brown.


Next I started making my sandwiches. First I sliced a green pepper and half an onion into long stripes. I added these to a skillet with a small amount of olive oil (since the conecuh has plenty of oil in it) and added a pinch of garlic salt. 


I then sliced two links of conecuh into small pieces so it would be easy to bite off when on a sandwich. You could also add these as whole pieces and serve this more hot dog style if you like. 


I continued to let the veggies simmer for about 15 minutes until they were soft. I toasted a bun for the sandwich while I was waiting for everything else to be done by spreading a little butter on the bottom and setting it on a hot skillet. 


I topped my sandwich with some spicy brown mustard and muenster cheese which melted nicely over the hot filling. Paired with a heaping stack of onion rings, I'd say this dinner was a success!




Oven Baked Onion Rings:

Ingredients:
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 milk or water
- 1 Tbs seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Set up a coating station with three medium sized bowls.
3. To one bowl, mix the flour with the seasoned salt, paprika, and pepper.
4. To the middle bowl, add 1/4 cup of  milk or water to the egg and mix well. 
5. To the last bowl, add the breadcrumbs. Salt and pepper if desired.
6. Slice the onion sideways into four or five ring sections.
7. Separate the rings and toss in the flour mixture to coat.
8. Dip each ring into the egg mixture, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
9. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. 


Philly Cheese Conecuh Sandwich

Ingredients:
- 2 large links of conecuh sausage (Hickory Smoked flavor)
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- pinch of garlic salt
- Spicy brown mustard
- Muenster cheese
- Sandwich or hot dog bun

Steps: 
1. Slice the green pepper and onion into strips.
2. Add to a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic salt to taste.
3. Slice the conecuh sausage into strips and add to the skillet.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are soft.
5. Put sausage - veggie mixture on a warmed bun, add cheese and spicy mustard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment