Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Weekend Breakfast - Pumpkin Waffles

Do you ever have one of those weekends where you wake up early on a Saturday morning, sun is shining, and all you want to do is....clean? Well that was me this weekend, and not only did I clean but I deeeeeeep cleaned...talking steam cleaned the couch, scrubbed kitchen floors, wiped down windows and baseboards, and did all the laundry (and put it away!!!). I thought because I'd worked so hard, I deserved a little treat for breakfast...AND since I had half a can of pumpkin puree left from my puppy birthday treats last week, AND since I got a waffle maker for Christmas that I hadn't gotten the chance to use yet, I thought what better combination than to make pumpkin waffles?!? Now...I know that technically the fall pumpkin trend is past and really when the pumpkin is substituted for oil it actually makes the waffles healthier, but it was still an amazing breakfast and made me ready to tackle the day!

I started out using Martha Stewart's Classic Waffle Recipe I found online here, but instead of the oil I added pumpkin puree, as well as about 1 tsp of vanilla, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I could've also just used pumpkin pie spice if I'd had any!). 


For the milk, I also made a little substitute that I like to do in baking and use dry milk instead of regular milk...because I'm the only person who drinks milk at my house, it ALWAYS ends up going bad if I keep a gallon or even half gallon around. I've found that keeping a box of dry milk in the pantry works well in a pinch, and even though I don't know that I'd want to drink a glass, it works just fine in recipes! The recipe on the back is for a whole quart, but I find that 1/4 cup of dry milk to 1 cup water is about perfect!


After I added all the ingredients and mixed the batter, I just had to wait for my waffle iron to heat up!


Once the waffle iron was heated up, I "poured an amount of batter into the waffle maker per manufacturer's recommendations"...


Disclaimer: I am aware this is NOT manufacturer's guidelines on how much batter to add to the waffle iron, but I like my waffles a little softer than normal...plus those little bits on the side are perfect to peel off and munch on :)


Once the waffles were ready, I served them with some leftover honey butter I made a few weeks ago (you can check out that recipe here), sprinkled with powdered sugar, drizzled with organic REAL maple syrup, and fueled up for a long day of cleaning!


No comments:

Post a Comment