Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Breakfast - Apple Crescent Roll Dumplings



It never fails that halfway through the work week, my mind begins to drift towards the weekend and what sorts of fun activities I can look forward to...today is no exception since my "little" sister (I use the term ironically since she's two years younger than me but about four inches taller!) and her husband are coming in town!!! YAY!!! Words cannot express how excited I am! But I digress...

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, my hubby has a new work schedule this year that causes him to have to work on Saturday mornings. And while yesssss it's a bummer when it comes to planning weekend getaways, it's amazing when it comes to the "me" time I have to cook fun foods, do laundry, and clean up the house!! Hence my post last weekend about my cleaning frenzy!

Well this weekend was no exception in waking up and making myself a tasty breakfast, but this week I made a throwback meal to one my mom used to make when I was younger, where she would wrap apple pieces in biscuit dough and cook them in a muffin pan with butter and brown sugar (can I say YUM any louder?!). For my recipe, I used two very simple ingredients that I had in my fridge and tried to recreate as best I could.


First, I peeled, cored, and cut the apple into eight equal pieces. 


I squeezed about a tsp of lemon juice on them to keep them from browning, as well as added about a tsp of vanilla extract for flavor and additional moisture to grab the sugar coating. To make the sugar coating/dough filling, I used 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 Tbs flour, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.


I added half the sugar mixture to the apples and tossed them until they were fully coated with sugary yumminess.


Once I popped the roll of crescent dough and separated the pieces, I started constructing my dumplings!

(Cooking Tip: Since the dough can be fairly sticky, I used a piece of wax paper to roll my dumplings...was easier than trying to grease a pan and much faster cleanup!!)


First,  I sprinkled a heaping tsp of the sugar filling onto one triangle of the crescent roll dough...


...and then added one wedge of apple. 


To roll the dough, I simply rolled it from bottom to top as the instructions said, and then folded in the sides and pinched all the seams so no sugar could leak out.



From there it was just sprinkle, roll, repeat until all 8 rolls were ready to be baked!


I baked them according to the instructions on the package and just used the max time recommended, since I knew the apples inside would slow down the cooking process.



As you can see I wasn't as effective in pinching all the seams as I'd thought, but oh well it just meant I had some crispy caramel to eat with my rolls!

I also made a quick glaze which wasn't really necessary but definitely yummy...for the glaze I used 2 Tbs. powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. milk (or in my case caramel macchiato flavored coffee creamer since as I've said before we never have milk in our house), and 1 tsp. maple syrup. I drizzled this all over the hot rolls and forced myself to wait at least two minutes so it could set and harden a teeny bit. 


Such a wonderful start to my day. Now just to make it through the next two days so can have a YUMMY breakfast with my family :) 


Happy Wednesday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment