Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dinner - Thai Chicken Curry Stir-Fry

Tonight I decided to break out of my standard list of dinner recipes and try a healthy, filling meal that I've been wanting to make for awhile...chicken curry stir-fry! I've had the curry paste and fish sauce in my fridge forever and thought this would be a great way to use them before they go bad :)

I started with chicken, frozen veggies (I used the broccoli stir fry medley but you could use whatever your favorite is!), fish sauce, coconut milk, red curry paste, dried onions, garlic powder, and brown sugar.


I sliced the chicken into small strips and added them to a hot pan with some olive oil. I lightly seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and the dried onion, and let it cook for about 7 minutes.


 While the chicken was sauteing, I poured a can of coconut milk into a pan over medium heat


Once the coconut milk started to simmer, I added two tablespoons of the curry paste and whisked the mixture until it was well combined. I reduced the heat to low and let it continue simmering for another 5 - 7 minutes.



As the curry mixture continued to simmer, I added the bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables to the chicken and let it continue cooking together for another 5 minutes or so until they started to thaw and cook with the chicken.


Once the chicken was completely cooked through and the vegetables were soft, I added the coconut milk mixture and fish sauce to the pan and continued cooking this for another 5 - 10 minutes. 


Once the meat and vegetables were cooked through, I removed the sauce from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to thicken just slightly as it cooled. I served it over cooked brown rice and added just a tiny bit of soy sauce for a little extra salt...if you're not a super salt lover like me, you can eat it without that. :)


Hope you enjoy this easy and healthy weeknight meal!

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp dried onions
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 bag frozen broccoli stir fry medley 
1 can coconut milk
2 Tbs. red curry paste 
1 1/2 Tbs. fish sauce
1 Tbs. brown sugar

Steps:

1. Slice chicken breasts into thin strips and add to a hot pan with 1 Tbs oil.
2. Season the chicken breasts with garlic powder, dried onions, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes
3. Pour a can of coconut milk into a small pan over medium heat.
4. Once the coconut milk is simmering, add the curry paste and continue cooking over low heat for another 5 minutes.
5. Add the bag of frozen vegetables to the chicken and cook until the vegetables are thawed and beginning to soften.
6. Pour the coconut milk into the pan with the chicken and vegetables. 
7. Add the fish sauce the pan and cook for 5 more minutes.
8. Remove from heat and let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes to cool off and thicken slightly.
9. Serve over a hot bed of brown rice. (add a touch of salt/soy sauce as needed) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment